Friday

Exploring Rituals

The first ritual I decided to explore was Churches. I wanted to explore this as a ritual because it represented to me a very traditional event that is very historic and spiritual to those involved. I liked the idea of capturing the essence of the old churches with their beautiful architecture over a more modern church as I find them more visually appealing. The stained glass in the older churches could also create cool lighting effects in the photographs which I could work with.
I could also look into the smaller rituals that together make church what it is. This could be things such as the lighting of candles, the placement of the bible, the wine, and other objects as they are laid out in preparation for a church service.

Below are the photograph's from my photo shoot at the church above Oriental Parade.


These two photograph's are my favorite from the shoot, I really like the way your eyes are drawn to the alter and the cross at the front of the room in the first photograph due to the central composition of the photograph. The two simple candles sitting next to the cross in the second image also works well and I think it is a good example of how the objects in the space can describe the ritual without the people involved using them, i think this works especially well when placed next to the the first image giving it a stronger context.

The rest of the photo's from the shoot are below. I quite liked the photo's of the glass windows, however I think they would have worked a lot better if it had been a sunnier day with stronger light.

ContactSheet-001

No comments:

Post a Comment